Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Ashtabula County / 5-4 The Hubbard House [10]

Title, side A
The Hubbard House
Text, side A
Built in the 1840s by William and Catharine Hubbard and known as "Mother Hubbard's Cupboard" or "The Great Emporium" by fugitive slaves, the Hubbard House was an important terminus on the fabled Underground Railroad in the years before the Civil War. The Hubbard House sheltered escaped slaves who had risked life and limb after crossing the Ohio River into the North. From the Hubbard home, slaves walked one-quarter mile to the Hubbard and Company warehouse on the Ashtabula River, where friendly boat captains awaited to ferry their passengers to Canada and freedom. The U.S. Department of the Interior listed the Hubbard House on its National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Hubbard House Underground Railroad Museum, 1603 Walnut Blvd
Ashtabula, OH 44004
NW corner of Walnut Blvd & Lake Ave
Latitude: 41.8996930, Longitude: -80.8046330.
Google map: