Home / Geauga County / 3-28 Batavia House 
- Title, side A
- Batavia House
- Text, side A
- Originally called the James Thompson Inn, named for its builder, the son of Middlefield's first settler, Isaac Thompson, the Batavia House is Middlefield's oldest remaining structure. Built in 1818, the two-story wood frame structure was operated continually as an inn by Thompson until his death in 1877. It became the private residence of his daughter, Caroline, until 1907 when again it became an inn, functioning as the Century Inn until 1951. The one-story cement block portion was added circa 1950 to accommodate the weight of the heavy printing presses of the Shetler Printing Company, which occupied the building until 1983.
- Text, side B
- (continued from other side) As the mid-point on the old turnpike linking Warren and Painesville, Middlefield was the stopping point for weary travelers. The inn played an important role in the travel between these cities by providing food and shelter to those passing through. It also hosted business meetings, township elections, and court proceedings. The original building helped to shape Middlefield's commercial and social development. Listed as the Batavia House on the National Register of Historic Places on July 16, 1987, the building honors Middlefield's original name, Batavia.
- Middlefield Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society
- 14979 S. State Avenue
Middlefield, OH 44062
- 14979 South State Avenue