ALERT: There are three markers numbered 14-28 in Geauga County. The other two are 'Welton Cemetery' and "Old" Chardon Post Office.'
- Title, side A
- First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC
- Text, side A
- The First Congregational Church of Claridon has served the community since it was dedicated in the summer of 1832. Twenty-seven souls from the Burton Congregational Church petitioned to form their own church in Claridon in November 1827, and their request was granted the following month. In 1830, a committee made up of Cotton Kellogg, Chester Treat, and Asa Cowles contracted with John Talbot and Rufus Hurlburt to build the church. When â€œsleddingâ€ came during the winter of 1831, logs were hauled to Cotton Kelloggâ€™s sawmill to be cut into lumber. (Continued on other side)
- Text, side B
- (Continued from other side) In the spring of 1831, the churchâ€™s foundation stones were brought from Timothy Wellsâ€™ quarry and put into place. Rev. Luther â€œPriestâ€ Humphrey donated the â€œHandsome Whitewoodâ€ tree from his land to the church. It is believed that its wood was used for the wainscoting and the backs of the pews. In 1955, the church was lifted from its foundation and a basement excavated underneath it. In 1966, the sanctuary was rebuilt. The church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 as an outstanding example of Greek Revival style architecture.
- Family of Phyllis Blaser Kopke and The Ohio Historical Society
- 13942 Mayfield Rd
Huntsburg, OH 44046
- On the driveway to the front of the church