Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lucas County / 69-48 The Ability Center [3]

Title, side A
The Ability Center
Title, side B
same
Text, side A
The Rotary Club of Toledo founded the “Toledo Society for Crippled Children” in 1920 to care for and treat children with disabilities, primarily those with polio. After a decade of fundraising and a substantial bequest from Edward Drummond Libbey, the Society opened a convalescent home in 1931 and moved to its own state-of-the-art facility in 1938. As the 1950s Salk vaccine reduced the prevalence of polio and the needs of Toledo’s disabled changed, the Society shifted focus to offer preschool care, adult rehabilitation, and independent living. The Society relocated to the 17-acre Monroe Street Campus in 1980 and adopted the name “The Ability Center of Greater Toledo” in 1990. The Ability Center proudly celebrated 100 years of “service above self” in 2020 and continues to create a disability-friendly Toledo.
Text, side B
same
Address
5605 Monroe Street
Sylvania, OH , OH 43560
Location
At main entrance
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.7083396, Longitude: -83.6715647.
Google map: