Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 147-18 The Village Garden Club [4]

Title, side A
The Village Garden Club
Title, side B
same
Text, side A
In 1930, nine women from Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights formally organized The Village Garden Club and set as its goal the beautification of Shaker Parklands with trees. At a time when women were excluded from environmental activism, the club’s careful planning allowed members to lead civic improvements. Since its establishment, the club has planted and maintained flowering trees at Horseshoe Lake Park, pausing only during World War II. In the 1960s, The Village Garden Club and 34 other local organizations successfully fought the construction of the Clark-Lee Freeway. Club member Mary Elizabeth Croxton chaired the Park Conservation Committee that won the battle and established the Shaker Lakes Regional Nature Center. The Village Garden Club continues its stewardship over the flowering grove with “civic and environmental responsibility” as its focus.
Text, side B
same
Address
16980 South Park Drive
Shaker Heights, OH 44120
Location
"Flowering Grove" in Horsehoe Lake Park on north side of South Park Blvd (across from 16980 South Park Blvd)
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.4817500, Longitude: -81.5600830.
Google map: