Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Wayne County / 10-85 Orrville & Judge Smith Orr / Judge Smith Orr Homestead [1]

Title, side A
Orrville & Judge Smith Orr
Title, side B
Judge Smith Orr Homestead
Text, side A
Orrville was founded in 1852 at the railroad crossing that would later serve the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago and the Columbus, Mount Vernon and Cleveland railroads. The town was named in honor of Judge Smith Orr, who was instrumental in bringing the railroad to Wayne County. Orr persuaded landowner Robert Taggart to partition ten acres into town lots. After buying out the land owned by fellow settlers Christian Horst, David Rudy, and Peter Perrine, Orr engaged Jesse Straughan to create the first plat map that centered the newly-formed town on the railroad crossing. Incorporated on May 9, 1864, Orrville prospered and attracted manufactories of all kinds. Orrville was the largest manufacturing town in Wayne County by 1873.
Text, side B
Smith Orr was born 1797 in County Tyrone, Ireland. In 1801, his family immigrated to America, and by early 1812 resided in Wayne County. He married Maria Foreman in 1821 and together they raised their only son, William, as well as 10 orphaned children. During his lifetime Orr was a farmer, surveyor, Justice of the Peace, and Judge of the Common Pleas Court. Judge Orr established his homestead on the block between Market and Church Streets, the railroad running along the eastern boundary. Orr died on April 23, 1865, at the age of 67. Five generations of the Orr family resided on the property until 1999 when it was gifted by Susanna Congdon McIntyre to the Orrville Historical Society and Museum.
Address
365 West Market Street
Orrville, OH 44667
Location
Orrville Historical Society and Museum (Smith Orr Homestead)