Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Knox County / 16-42 Mt. Calvary Baptist Church [3]

Title, side A
Mt. Calvary Baptist Church
Title, side B
same
Text, side A
Mt. Calvary Baptist Church, the lone religious property within the Mt. Vernon Downtown Historic District, served what became only the second African American congregation in the city. The cornerstone for 13 South Mulberry Street was laid October 17, 1915, and a dedication service was celebrated in March 1916. Mt. Calvary grew out of the Black Baptist traditions brought by Southern refugees during the Great Migration. Although dwindling membership and resources closed the building, it provided Mt. Vernon’s African American community with a vital space of worship, communion, mutual assistance, asylum, social support, and community celebration for almost a century.
Text, side B
same
Address
13 S. Mulberry Street
Mount Vernon, OH 43050
Location
In front of building
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.3931660, Longitude: -82.4869470.
Google map: