Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 127-25 Joseph M. Briggs and Briggsdale / Briggsdale [2]

Title, side A
Joseph M. Briggs and Briggsdale
Title, side B
Briggsdale
Text, side A
Briggsdale was established on the north side of the Columbus and Harrisburg Turnpike, a private toll road that was completed in 1849 and passed diagonally through the southeast corner of the Briggs family farm. The 1893 plat consisted of 97 small lots, five public streets, and several existing buildings, including a railroad depot, a post office, a schoolhouse, and the Joseph M. Briggs home. The Italianate style home, where Briggs and his wife Louisiana raised their seven children, was built in 1881 and demolished in 1958. The last Briggs home on the original family farmstead was built on this site in 1911 and occupied by William Irving Briggs (the eldest son of Joseph) until his death in 1964. The house was demolished for expansion of the Briggsdale Apartments complex in 2018.
Text, side B
Briggsdale was established on the north side of the Columbus and Harrisburg Turnpike, a private toll road that was completed in 1849 and passed diagonally through the southeast corner of the Briggs family farm. The 1893 plat consisted of 97 small lots, five public streets, and several existing buildings, including a railroad depot, a post office, a schoolhouse, and the Joseph M. Briggs home. The Italianate style home, where Briggs and his wife Louisiana raised their seven children, was built in 1881 and demolished in 1958. The last Briggs home on the original family farmstead was built on this site in 1911 and occupied by William Irving Briggs (the eldest son of Joseph) until his death in 1964. The house was demolished for expansion of the Briggsdale Apartments complex in 2018.
Address
1662 Harrison Pike
Columbus, OH 43223
Location
Briggsdale Apartments II entrance