Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Tuscarawas County / 30-79 The Zoar Hotel [4]

Title, side A
The Zoar Hotel
Title, side B
same
Text, side A
Zoar Separatists built the hotel in 1833 to accommodate overflow travelers from their original Ohio & Erie Canal inn. The hotel proved an economic boon to the Zoar community, but, by bringing the outside world into Zoar, ultimately became a source of discontent for members. During its heyday, the Zoar Hotel catered to curiosity-seekers, visiting artists, and families escaping the summer heat of nearby cities. Notable guests included Marcus Hanna and President William McKinley. The original structure was enlarged several times, including the now demolished 1892 Queen Anne addition which doubled the accommodations. By the mid-twentieth century, the hotel remained open as a popular restaurant with Rathskeller bar until closing to the public in July 1983. The exterior was restored by the Ohio History Connection in 2001-2002.
Text, side B
same
Address
162 Main Street
Zoar, OH 44697
Location
Across from Zoar Store