Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 140-18 St. Christopher's by the River Episcopal Church [2]

Dedication Date TBD

Title, side A
St. Christopher's by the River Episcopal Church
Title, side B
same
Text, side A
Described as "one of the region's great examples of Greek Revival church architecture," the building was erected in 1853. Holsey Gates, founder of Gates Mills in 1826, financed most of the construction of the church, which served Methodist Episcopal congregants until 1926. With the decline in that denomination's attendance, an Episcopal mission acquired the building in 1927 and renamed it St. Christopher's by the River. Church trustee and eminent Cleveland architect Frank Walker made historically sensitive renovations to the building soon after. More were made in 1953-1954, 1965, and 1984. The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Text, side B
same
Address
7601 Old Mill Road
Gates Mills, OH 44040
Location
The Parish of St. Christopher by the River