Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Licking County / 29-45 The Licking County Courthouse [5]

Title, side A
The Licking County Courthouse
Text, side A
Licking County was established in 1808. Contruction of the current Licking County Courthouse began in 1876. In 1879, a fire destroyed upper portions of this building, which was replaced in 1880. Architect Henry E. Myer of Cleveland designed the building in the Second Empire Style, which originated in France. The building contains significant works of art, including paintings, sculptures, and stained glass in the west courtroom on the second floor. The statues over the original entrances to the courthouse represent the ideal of impartial justice. (Continued on/from other side)
Text, side B
(Continued on/from other side) This building is the fourth courthouse in Licking County. Each courthouse was located on the public square. In the early nineteenth century, a whipping post for the punishment of criminals was also on the square. The first courthouse was a log building constructed around 1809. The second was built of brick around 1815. Another brick building with pillars replaced it in 1832 but was destroyed by fire in 1875. In addition to court activities, the courthouse was a meeting place for local organizations. The current building once housed all branches of county government.
1 Courthouse Square
Newark, OH 43058
3rd Street side (W) of County Courthouse.
Latitude: 40.0578770, Longitude: -82.4021000.
Google map: