Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Erie County / 31-22 The Island House [1]

Title, side A
The Island House
Title, side B
The Island House
Text, side A
Datus and Sara Kelley built their home here in 1843, known as the Island House. It was located up the hill from the steamboat landing and across the street from the island store (the Lodge, 1854). In 1873, Jacob Rush bought the property and built a 102-room hotel. This "pleasure resort" was 224 feet wide and three stories tall. It featured many amenities, including a bowling alley, billiard parlor, bath houses, laundry, barber shop, livery stable and a dancing pavilion (the Casino) overlooking the lake. A fire destroyed the structure in November 1877. Later owners of the property where the hotel stood were Clara Fann and George Schardt in 1892, Frank Stang in 1895, Jacob Kuebler in 1899 and John Himmelien in 1905. Himmelien sold the property to the Village for use as a park in 1925.
Text, side B
Same as Side A
Corner of Division Street and East and West Lakeshore Drives
Kelleys Island, OH 43438
Memorial Park
Latitude: 41.5939203, Longitude: -82.7108713.
Google map: