Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Wood County / 6-87 Grand Rapids 1833-1983 [4]

Title, side A
Grand Rapids 1833-1983
Text, side A
This site, at the head of the Great Rapids of the Maumee, has been a major river crossing for centuries. The village was platted in 1833 as Gilead but was overshadowed by rival Providence during the canal era. In 1868 the name Grand Rapids was adopted, and the town prospered with the arrival of the railroad in 1877. Fires ravished the village in the late 1890s and spring floods have remained a threat. Restoration of the Victorian architecture began in 1975 and has helped revitalize this village along the historic Maumee.
24010 Front St
Grand Rapids, OH 43522
In the park on Main Street
Latitude: 41.4132496, Longitude: -83.8639443.
Google map: