Home / Wood County / 14-87 Amos Spafford 
- Title, side A
- Amos Spafford
- Title, side B
- Text, side A
- In 1810, early settlers here were Major Amos Spafford (1753-1818), his wife Olive (1756-1823), and their children Samuel, Aurora , Chloe (Mrs. Almon Gibbs), and Anna (Mrs. Richard Craw). In 1796, Spafford, a native of Connecticut, was a surveyor for the Connecticut Land Company. He drew the first map laying out Cleveland and named the city. He left there in 1810 following appointment as custom's collector and postmaster for the new port at the foot of the Maumee River rapids, Port Miami of Lake Erie. Spafford was granted a 160 acre land patent on River Tracts #64 and #65 in Waynesfield township, signed by President James Monroe and was able to purchase it following the 1817 Treaty of the Rapids that extinguished Native American claim. Two years later, 67 families lived in the area, but most fled at the outbreak of the War of 1812.
- Text, side B
- Following the War of 1812, settlers reestablished the Maumee River town nicknamed "Orleans of the North" hoping to rival to New Orleans in Louisiana Territory. The town was wiped out twice by spring ice flows. In 1816 the federal government platted a new town on the bluff, and Major Amos Spafford named it Perrysburg, spelling it Perrysburgh, in honor of Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry's naval victory over the British fleet in Lake Erie during the War of 1812. The main street was named Louisiana Avenue. Wood County was formed in 1820 and included Maumee, which separated in 1835 when Lucas County was formed. Perrysburg was the county seat in 1823 until it was moved to Bowling Green in 1875. Spafford died in 1818 and was buried on his land west of Fort Meigs.
- Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Perrysburg Ohio's Bicentennial Committee/Historic Perrysburg, and The Ohio Historical Society
- 29100 W. River Road
Perrysburg, OH 43551
- Fort Meigs Memorial Park, Rt 65, 29100 E. River Rd.