ALERT: Marker given a duplicate number 5-79. It should be 6-79 and will be fixed when able.
- Title, side A
- The Ohio-Erie Canal in Tuscarawas County 1825-1913
- Title, side B
- The Ohio-Erie Canal, Canal Dover Toll House
- Text, side A
- The section of the Ohio-Erie Canal that ran through Tuscarawas County began at Summit Lake near Barbarton. This was a drop in elevation of 238 feet in less than 109 miles. The canal crossed the Tuscarawas River and the Tuscarawas County line on an aqueduct north of Zoar, and ran from Lock 7 in Zoar to Newcomerstown, where it leaves the county below Lock 21. A total of 15 locks were in Tuscarawas County. You are standing in front of Lock 13.
- Text, side B
- Strategically located along the entire length of the Ohio-Erie Canal were eleven toll houses at Cleveland, Akron, Massillon, Canal Dover, Roscoe, Newark, Carrol, Circleville, Waverly, and Portsmouth. Each canal boat was required to pay a toll or fee for use of the canal. The per-mile rate of the toll was usually in the form of pennies or mills, per weight or container. The Canal Dover Toll House was situated just east of this location between the canal and the Tuscarawas River. (custom art work - map)
- The Tuscarawas County Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society
- 256-258 W Front Street
Dover, OH 44622
- NE corner of S Tuscarawas Ave and W Front Street