Home / Pickaway County / 10-65 Chief Logan 
- Title, side A
- Chief Logan
- Title, side B
- Logan Elm
- Text, side A
- Tah-gah-jute, the Mingo chief named Logan, was a native of Pennsylvania. Logan moved to Ohio in 1770, and settled at the Pickaway Plains. Logan and his father, Shikellimus, had long supported friendships between Native Americans and white men; however, in the spring of 1774, his tribesmen and family were murdered at Yellow Creek, along the Ohio River. Once an advocate of peace, Logan went on the warpath and raided frontier settlements. These and similar raids along the Ohio frontier precipitated Lord Dunmore's War in October 1774. After the Shawnees and their allies were defeated at Point Pleasant, Virginia governor Lord Dunmore marched up the Hocking River to the Pickaway Plains. Dunmore asked his interpreter, Colonel John Gibson, to assist in negotiations with Cornstalk and other Indian leaders, including Logan. Logan declined to attend the conference, but spoke to Gibson about his anger and betrayal.
- Text, side B
- It was here under a large elm tree that Chief Logan was said to have delivered his powerful speech on Indian-white relations, which Gibson delivered to Lord Dunmore at Camp Charlotte. Logan's lamentation was printed widely and appeared in newspapers in New York, Philadelphia, and Williamsburg in 1775. The speech is inscribed on the Chief Logan Monument, worded as it was related to President Thomas Jefferson. Once considered to be one of the largest elms in the United States, the 65 feet tall elm died in 1964 after being stricken with blight and damaged by storms. Through the efforts of the Ohio History Day Association, this location was dedicated as Logan Elm Park. The Ohio Historical Society currently operates the Logan Elm State Memorial.
- Ohio Bicentennial Commission, Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Ohio, Soldiers Monumental Association of Pickaway County, and The Ohio Historical Society
- State Route 361
Circleville vicinity, OH 43113
- Logan Elm State Park, Route 361, 5 miles south of Circleville