Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Perry County / 5-64 First Catholic Church in Ohio [8]

Title, side A
First Catholic Church in Ohio
Text, side A
St. Joseph Catholic Church, called the cradle of the faith in Ohio, was the first Catholic church in the state. In 1809, Jacob and Catharine Dittoe deeded Father Edward Fenwick, who had traveled from Kentucky, 320 acres of ground to build the church. The original church, dedicated on December 6, 1818, by Father Fenwick and Father Nicholas Dominic Young, was a log cabin with a bare dirt floor measuring 18 feet by 22 feet. Father Fenwick was soon installed as the first Bishop of Cincinnati. Construction on the present church began in 1839.
Address
5757 OH 383
Somerset, OH 43783
Location
St. Joseph Catholic Church
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.7774300, Longitude: -82.2757910.
Google map: