Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Muskingum County / 7-60 Second Capital of Ohio [11]

Title, side A
Second Capital of Ohio
Text, side A
In 1809 the citizens of Zanesville erected a building on this site which served as the capitol of Ohio from October 1, 1810, until May 1, 1812. The 9th and 10th sessions of the Ohio General Assembly met here before returning to Chillicothe in May 1812. The building was then used as the Muskingum County Courthouse until the present courthouse was built in 1874. The 1809 date stone from the old building was incorporated into the new building and may be seen over the front steps.
Text, side B
In 1809 both Zanesville and Putnam (then a separate town across the Muskingum River) vied to become the capital city of Ohio. Zanesville erected a new county courthouse and Putnam erected a new school building - both towns hoping that the state legislature would find their building suitable for the state house. When the legislature settled on Zanesville, the Putnam building, known as the Stone Academy, was used as a school and as a meeting place. The Ohio Anti-Slavery Convention was held there in 1835.
401 Main Street
Zanesville, OH 43701
Main Street entrance to Muskingum County Courthouse
Latitude: 39.9402780, Longitude: -82.0073250.
Google map: