ALERT: This marker has been temporarily removed. We will update our website when it is re-installed.
- Title, side A
- Brigadier General Edmund Munger
- Text, side A
- Edmund Munger was born in 1763 in Norfolk, Connecticut, and later moved to Vermont. In 1799, his wife Eunice Kellogg and five children traveled by wagon and flat-bottomed boat to claim land in Washington Township. A blacksmith by trade and a farmer, Munger was deeply interested in community affairs. In 1804, he was elected a Montgomery County Commissioner and four years later to Ohio's Seventh General Assembly. From 1809 to 1826, he served as Clerk of Washington Township. His militia men elected him a Brigadier General in 1809 to take command of the Second Brigade, First Division of the Ohio Militia. During the War of 1812, Governor Return J. Meigs instructed Munger to defend the frontier within his command. His quick action protected settlers and kept vital supply routes open. General Munger died at his farm here in 1850 and is buried next to his wife in the Old Centerville Cemetery.
- Landmarks Foundation of Centerville-Washington Township, Ohio Historical Society
- 9955 Yankee Street
Centerville, OH 45458
- The Brigadier General Edmund Munger Homestead, just N of the DP&L Yankee Solar Array