Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

18-87 The Marker near the front door of the mosque. The school entrance is to the far left.

769_10848.jpg Thumbnails18-87 The MarkerThumbnails18-87 The MarkerThumbnails18-87 The Marker

Side A: Islamic Center of Greater Toledo. The first Muslim immigrants arrived in the 1900s from Syria and Lebanon. They established the Syrian American Muslim Society in the late 1930s. In 1954, the first Islamic Center was built on East Bancroft Street. By the late 60s and early 70s, the growing Muslim community outgrew the Bancroft Street Center. The present Center, architecturally classic in Islamic style, was the first such mosque in North America. Its foundation was laid in October 1980 and was officially opened on October 22, 1983. In August 2001, the full time Islamic School of Greater Toledo opened. Today, the Center's members represent nearly 30 nationalities, providing an important bridge of understanding between its members and the community at large. Side B: Same. Same