Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

8-68 Preble County Courthouse

106091_116417.jpg Thumbnails8-68 Courthouse SkylightThumbnails8-68 Courthouse SkylightThumbnails8-68 Courthouse SkylightThumbnails8-68 Courthouse SkylightThumbnails8-68 Courthouse SkylightThumbnails8-68 Courthouse SkylightThumbnails8-68 Courthouse Skylight

Front Text: The current Preble County Courthouse, the third courthouse erected on this site, was designed by noted architect and Preble County native Harvey Heistand. Its cornerstone was laid on March 17, 1917, with a copper box containing a bible, historic papers, and other memorabilia placed under the stone. Upon completion, the building was dedicated on September 10, 1918, with three thousand people attending the ceremony. Designed in the Neo-Classical style, the exterior was constructed of Indiana Bedford limestone with ten immense columns that extend upward from the second floor. Above the colonnade, a dentiled entablature is inscribed, Salus Populi Suprema Lex, meaning "The health of the people is the supreme law." The fa