Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Portage County / 6-67 Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850 /

6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College)

1062_4805.jpg 6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) Faculty PhotographThumbnails6-67 Hiram College Students on Steps of Bowler Hall6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) Faculty PhotographThumbnails6-67 Hiram College Students on Steps of Bowler Hall6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) Faculty PhotographThumbnails6-67 Hiram College Students on Steps of Bowler Hall

⇧ Go to 6-67 Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850 Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850
Title, side B
Same
Address
11753 Garfield Road (Rt 700)
Hiram, 44234
Latitude
41.1871300
Longitude
81.0862000

Picture Details

Title
Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College)
Caption
This 5" x 3.5" (12.7 x 8.9 cm) photograph depicts the original building of the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, now known as Hiram College, in 1858. The building was later called Hinsdale Hall after B.A. Hinsdale, president of the college from 1870 to 1882. The Disciples of Christ founded the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute as a nonsectarian, coeducational preparatory school in 1849. Once the denomination's fellowship in the Western Reserve decided to establish the institution, a contentious debate over its location arose. After thirteen rounds of voting, Hiram was chosen as the site of the institution. The school opened on November 27, 1850 despite the fact that the building was not yet completed. Many of the students came from the surrounding farms and villages of the Western Reserve, but Hiram soon gained a national reputation and students began arriving from other states. The school attained collegiate rank in 1867 and changed its name to Hiram College.