Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

6-67 Full view

1062_136994.jpg 6-67 Marker #6-67 Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850Thumbnails6-67 Marker in fromt of the Hinsdale Building on campus6-67 Marker #6-67 Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850Thumbnails6-67 Marker in fromt of the Hinsdale Building on campus6-67 Marker #6-67 Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850Thumbnails6-67 Marker in fromt of the Hinsdale Building on campus6-67 Marker #6-67 Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850Thumbnails6-67 Marker in fromt of the Hinsdale Building on campus6-67 Marker #6-67 Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850Thumbnails6-67 Marker in fromt of the Hinsdale Building on campus6-67 Marker #6-67 Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850Thumbnails6-67 Marker in fromt of the Hinsdale Building on campus6-67 Marker #6-67 Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850Thumbnails6-67 Marker in fromt of the Hinsdale Building on campus

Front Text: Founded in 1850 by the Disciples of Christ, or "Campbellites," this institution of higher education was chartered as Hiram College in 1867. The College's original charter provided for instruction for both men and women, and Hiram served as an early example of successful coeducation. From 1857 to 1861, James A. Garfield, 20th president of the United States, held the principalship of the institute. It continues today as one of Ohio's successful liberal arts colleges. Back Text: Same