Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

2-66 Marker

276_110026.jpg Thumbnails2-66 Courthouse and MarkerThumbnails2-66 Courthouse and MarkerThumbnails2-66 Courthouse and MarkerThumbnails2-66 Courthouse and MarkerThumbnails2-66 Courthouse and MarkerThumbnails2-66 Courthouse and MarkerThumbnails2-66 Courthouse and Marker

Side A: Pike County Court House. The Pike County Courthouse was at Piketon from 1815-1861 when county residents voted to move the county seat to Waverly. The Waverly Public Square was donated to the county by the Meschech Downing family in September, 1861. A committee was appointed to oversee the courthouse construction and the completed structure was deeded to the county in December 1866 for $5. An addition was added to the front in 1909. Inside, the common pleas courtroom houses busts of entrepreneur-businessman and first millionaire of Pike County, James Emmitt, and his wife, Louisa, and a mural of "Blind Justice" painted by late local lawyer, W. T. Reed. Side B: Same. Same