Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

25-48 The Marker on the access road to the parking garage

228_10821.jpg Thumbnails25-48 Replacement Marker is now on Vermont Ave in front of Main Hospital entrance.Thumbnails25-48 Replacement Marker is now on Vermont Ave in front of Main Hospital entrance.Thumbnails25-48 Replacement Marker is now on Vermont Ave in front of Main Hospital entrance.

Side A: Toledo's First Hospital. St. Vincent's Hospital, renamed the St. Vincent Medical Center in 1983, was founded in 1855 by the Sisters of Charity of Montreal, the "Grey Nuns." They came, following the 1854 cholera epidemic, in answer to a plea from a local Catholic priest "to raise orphans and help cure the sick." The facility has been located at this site since 1858. Side B: NULL. St. Vincent's has pioneered many of Toledo's medical "firsts", among which are: 1896: First school of nursing which was Ohio's first Catholic school of nursing. 1915: First hospital to install x-ray equipment.1955: First hospital to have a department of nuclear medicine. 1967: First Burn Unit in NW Ohio.1975: First to have hospital-based alcoholism treatment center. 1979: First area Life Flight service.