Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Subject Russells Point /

8-46 Indian Lake

765_4218.jpg 8-46 Sandy Beach - Courtsey of Terry LaffertyThumbnails8-46 Indian Lake 8-46 Sandy Beach - Courtsey of Terry LaffertyThumbnails8-46 Indian Lake 8-46 Sandy Beach - Courtsey of Terry LaffertyThumbnails8-46 Indian Lake

⇧ Go to Russells Point Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Gist Settlement
Title, side B
Same
Address
Gist Settlement Cemetery, Gist Settlement Road
New Vienna, 45159
Location
At intersection of Gist Settlement Road and Rollins Lane
Latitude
39.3133430
Longitude
-83.6486570

Picture Details

Title
Indian Lake
Caption
Indian Lake was built between 1850 and 1857 as a feeder lake for the Miami and Erie Canal. It was known as Lewistown Reservoir until 1896, when the lake was purchased by the state of Ohio for a state park. In the 1920s, S. L. Wilgus built an amusement park on the shore of the lake near Russell's Point. Attractions included a boardwalk along the lake and a roller coaster. The park closed in the 1970s (AL06157).