Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

20-45 Marker Dedication

7277_10369.jpg Thumbnails20-45 Conine HomesteadThumbnails20-45 Conine HomesteadThumbnails20-45 Conine Homestead

Front Text: Born in New Jersey, Richard and Sarah Conine, the founders of the village of Pataskala, moved to Lima Township and lived on this site as early as 1821 when Richard established a grist mill nearby. Their homestead also served as a stagecoach stop on the mud pike between Columbus and Newark prior to the coming of the railroad. Richard platted "Conine Town" south and west of here in 1851, and the town was renamed Pataskala soon after. The public-spirited Conines contributed to the building of several area schools and churches and donated land for the Pataskala Cemetery. After their deaths, Sarah's nephew Jacob Van Dorn inherited the property. John Hawley purchased the home in 1887 and for many years it was known as "The Hawley House." It was demolished in 1964 to make way for commercial development. Back Text: Same