Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Lawrence County / 1-44 The Hanging Rock Iron Region /

1-44 Olive Furnace Photograph

74_2714.jpg 1-44 Hecla FurnaceThumbnails1-44 Vesuvius Iron Furnace Photograph1-44 Hecla FurnaceThumbnails1-44 Vesuvius Iron Furnace Photograph1-44 Hecla FurnaceThumbnails1-44 Vesuvius Iron Furnace Photograph1-44 Hecla FurnaceThumbnails1-44 Vesuvius Iron Furnace Photograph

⇧ Go to 1-44 The Hanging Rock Iron Region Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
The Hanging Rock Iron Region
Title, side B
The Blast Furnaces of Lawrence County
Address
Corner of 5th St and Park Avenue
Ironton, 45638
Location
Courthouse lawn - Location of Mt. Olive Furnace is 38.76207, -82.62985 - NW corner of Ohio 93 and Co
Latitude
38.535480
Longitude
-82.683560

Picture Details

Title
Olive Furnace Photograph
Caption
Olive Furnace, shown in this photograph, was built in 1845 to supply iron to steel manufacturers in northern Ohio, Pennsylvania, and other parts of the nation. It produced nearly 5,000 tons of pig iron, made from iron ore and limestone, per year. The supply of iron ore diminished in the early twentieth century and the furnace was closed in 1910. Olive Furnace was one 46 charcoal iron furnaces located in the Hanging Rock Iron Region of southern Ohio. It is located on Rt. 93 near Mt. Olive Baptist Church in Lawrence County, Ohio. The slide, taken in the 1960s, measures 2.75" x 2.75" (6.99 x 6.99 cm) (Om3027_001).