- Title, side A
- Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton
- Title, side B
- Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Scotts Company-Founded by a Civil War Veteran, and The Ohio Historical Society
- 301 Market Street, Jefferson County CourthouseSteubenville, 43952
- SE corner of Market Street and N 3rd Street to the left of the Edwin Stanton statue
- Edwin Stanton Monument
- This photograph of the Edwin Stanton monument in Steubenville, Ohio, was taken in the 1960s. The statue was built in front of the Jefferson County courthouse in 1911. Stanton, who served as U.S. attorney general and secretary of war, was born in Steubenville. Edwin McMasters Stanton (1814-1869) was born in Steubenville, Ohio. He attended Kenyon College and was admitted to the bar as a lawyer in 1836. In 1860 President James Buchanan made him attorney general of the United States. Under President Lincoln, Stanton served as secretary of war during the Civil War. Stanton was appointed to the Supreme Court by Ulysses S. Grant in 1869, but died four days after the appointment (Om3024_001).