Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

3-39 Closer look at marker

296_113976.jpg Thumbnails3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field - MarkerThumbnails3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field - MarkerThumbnails3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field - MarkerThumbnails3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field - MarkerThumbnails3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field - MarkerThumbnails3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field - MarkerThumbnails3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field - Marker

Front Text: The Wakeman Red Caps, perhaps one of the area's best semi-pro baseball teams during the 1930s and 40s, first played night baseball under lights installed at Wakeman Field on July 24, 1935. The Field, no longer extant, was bounded by Hyde, Clark, Pleasant, and Townsend (Ohio Route 303) streets. The game was played only two months after Franklin D. Roosevelt switched on lights at Crosley Field for the Cincinnati Reds. The Red Caps were part of the Wakeman Baseball Club, an organization which was founded in 1889 and was sponsored by Charles S. Clark, Sr., and others. For aspiring local baseball players, playing night baseball for the Red Caps was a great honor. Wakeman Field was annually graced with Abe Saperstein's Ethipian Clowns, an African-American traveling baseball team, and also saw appearances by Tom Manning, Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, Al Schacht, Jesse Owens, and other sports greats. Back Text: Same