Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Geauga County / 2-28 Chardon Business District /

2-28 Chardon Business District

325_3949.jpg 2-28 Geauga County CourthouseThumbnails2-28 Chardon Business District2-28 Geauga County CourthouseThumbnails2-28 Chardon Business District

⇧ Go to 2-28 Chardon Business District Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Chardon Business District
Title, side B
Geauga County Courthouse
Address
223 Main Street
Chardon, 44024
Location
The marker is installed in the sidewalk in front of 223 Main Street
Latitude
41.5827000
Longitude
-81.2039800

Picture Details

Title
Chardon Business District
Caption
Chardon was designated the county seat of Geauga County in 1808. On July 25, 1868, the entire village business district (now Main Street) was destroyed by fire, including forty businesses, offices, meeting halls, and the 1824 courthouse. Citizens immediately rallied and formed the Chardon Building Company. In August 1868 they contracted with Herrick and Simmons of Cleveland to build the Union Block using fire-resistant brick. This was one of Rensselaer R. Herrick's (Cleveland Mayor 1879-1882) last construction jobs. The Union Block occupies the northern half of this block of Main Street (AL06624).