Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

92-18 First Settler

106156_123189.jpg Thumbnails92-18 On Broadview RoadThumbnails92-18 On Broadview RoadThumbnails92-18 On Broadview RoadThumbnails92-18 On Broadview RoadThumbnails92-18 On Broadview Road

Side A: Brecksville Township's First Settler. In 1811, Colonel John Breck sent Seth Paine to survey a new township of the Western Reserve. Traveling from Massachusetts, the Paine family journeyed by wagon pulled by a team of oxen, a trip that took them forty-two days. For his compensation, Paine was given 200 acres of land that is now part of the cities of Broadview Heights, Brecksville, and North Royalton. He chose acreage in the southwestern area of the township and built the first family structure in this area. His log cabin sat on the northeast corner of Broadview and Boston roads and later became one of the first schoolhouses from which his daughter, Orianna, taught. The vast body of land that Colonel Breck was granted the authority to allot was given the name Brecksville Township. In 1818, the west end of Brecksville Township, consisting of 21.28 square miles, was renamed Royalton Township. Side B: Same. Same