Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

9-18 Sign at entrance of Frostville

144_109995.jpg The schoolhouse was moved to Frostville, located at the corner of Lewis and Cedar Point roads.Thumbnails9-18 MarkerThe schoolhouse was moved to Frostville, located at the corner of Lewis and Cedar Point roads.Thumbnails9-18 MarkerThe schoolhouse was moved to Frostville, located at the corner of Lewis and Cedar Point roads.Thumbnails9-18 MarkerThe schoolhouse was moved to Frostville, located at the corner of Lewis and Cedar Point roads.Thumbnails9-18 MarkerThe schoolhouse was moved to Frostville, located at the corner of Lewis and Cedar Point roads.Thumbnails9-18 MarkerThe schoolhouse was moved to Frostville, located at the corner of Lewis and Cedar Point roads.Thumbnails9-18 MarkerThe schoolhouse was moved to Frostville, located at the corner of Lewis and Cedar Point roads.Thumbnails9-18 Marker

Side A: North Olmsted-First Settlement and Schoolhouse. David Stearns, the first permanent settler, built a log cabin near this site on the "ridge" (Lorain Road) in 1816. Stearns was given this land by his father, Elijah, who had bought 1,002 acres from the Olmsted family. This area of North Olmsted was first called Kingston, renamed Lennox in 1823, and Olmsted in 1829. In 1827, Stearns donated his cabin to the community to be used as the first schoolhouse. In 1852 the cabin was moved to Butternut and Dover Center and continued to serve as a school. Side B: Same. Same