Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

54-18 #1- The Setting - Dec '06

907_11241.jpg Thumbnails54-18 #2- The MarkerThumbnails54-18 #2- The MarkerThumbnails54-18 #2- The Marker

Front Text: Japanese-American Buddhists, who resettled in the Cleveland area in 1943-44 after being released from World War II internment camps, established the oldest continually meeting Buddhist organization in Ohio. The organization was originally known as the Cleveland Young Buddhist Association and is now known as the Cleveland Buddhist Temple. Services were held in members' homes until a building on East 81st Street was purchased in 1955. After extensive damage to the building during the Hough riots in 1966, the Temple's current residence was acquired in 1968. Affiliated with the Buddhist Churches of America, the Temple serves the Jodo Shinshu Tradition of Buddhism. In 1979, the Temple under the direction of Sensei Koshin Ogui introduced the Zen Shin meditation practice in response to public wishes. The Temple welcomes all those wishing to study the teachings of the Buddha. Back Text: Same