Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

148 142963

148_142963.jpg Thumbnails12-18 The Ox Cart Library MarkerThumbnails12-18 The Ox Cart Library MarkerThumbnails12-18 The Ox Cart Library MarkerThumbnails12-18 The Ox Cart Library MarkerThumbnails12-18 The Ox Cart Library MarkerThumbnails12-18 The Ox Cart Library MarkerThumbnails12-18 The Ox Cart Library Marker

Side A: The Oxcart Library. In 1829 the citizens of Lenox voted to change the township name to Olmsted as their part of a bargain to acquire 500 books owned by the heirs of Aaron Olmsted. Believed to be the first public library in the Western Reserve, the books were brought from Hartford, Connecticut, by oxcart and were stored in settlers' cabins. The remaining 125 volumes are now housed in the North Olmsted Public Library. Side B: Same. Same