Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

107-18 Town Center

106238_142989.jpg Thumbnails107-18 MarkerThumbnails107-18 MarkerThumbnails107-18 MarkerThumbnails107-18 MarkerThumbnails107-18 MarkerThumbnails107-18 MarkerThumbnails107-18 Marker

Side A: Solon Town Center. In 1845, the Disciples of Christ built the first of three churches to occupy this site. They built a second, larger structure, to replace the original in 1858. On August 6th, 1860, 29 year-old circuit minister Brother James A. Garfield, the future 20th President of the United States, was paid $250.00 to speak here every other Sunday for one year. An arsonist destroyed both the second church and the Solon Village Hall. Erected in 1899, this building replaced the second church and was occupied by the Disciples of Christ until 1920, when it merged with two local churches to establish the Federated Church of Solon. In 1951, the Pioneer Memorial Church split from the Federated Church to move into the abandoned Disciples Church, which they renovated. The City of Solon purchased the building in 1968, and it has since been the home of The Solon Historical Society. Side B: Same. Same