Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

10-18 Coe Ridge marker

145_103420.jpg Thumbnails10-18 MarkerThumbnails10-18 MarkerThumbnails10-18 MarkerThumbnails10-18 Marker

Side A: Coe Ridge. In 1823, Asher and Abigail Coe migrated from Connecticut and settled here. By mid-century the Coe family operated the second largest dairy farm in Ohio. Their home was used as a post office in 1843. The Universalist Church, built in 1847 at Butternut and Lorain, was established largely as a result of Asher Coe's efforts. The present Lorain Road, from Columbia to Butternut, was built as a connecting link between his home and the church. In 1857, Coe donated land for Coe School. Side B: Same. Same