Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lucas County / 31-48 Miami & Erie Canal [11]

Title, side A
Miami & Erie Canal
Text, side A
The Wabash & Erie Canal opened between Toledo and Lafayette, Indiana, May 8, 1843. The Miami Extension Canal was completed to Junction, Ohio, on July 4, 1845, linking the Wabash & Erie Canal with Cincinnati and resulting in changing the canal's name to the Miami and Erie Canal. Prosperity reigned until the 1850s when railroad competition caused a slow decline in commerce. The canal branch to Indiana was in disuse by 1858 and totally abandoned in 1888. The canal system was revived from 1906-1909 with much reconstruction and improvement only to be badly damaged by severe statewide flooding in 1913. The canal was maintained from here to Maumee for generating hydro-electric power until it was drained in 1929. Twelve miles of canal and the Maumee Side Cut Canal have been leased to the Toledo Area Metroparks since 1932.
Address
US 295, Providence Metropark
Grand Rapids, OH 43522
Location
Canal Boat and Isaac Ludwig Mill section, on walkway from parking lot to restrooms
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.4157440, Longitude: -83.8571830.
Google map: