Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lucas County / 29-48 Original Site of Toledo's Oldest Black Institution [3]

  • 29-48 Frederick Douglass 29-48 Frederick Douglass
  • 29-48 The Marker 29-48 The Marker
  • 29-48 The Marker at the right, in front of the present HCR Manor Care Building 29-48 The Marker at the right, in front of the present HCR Manor Care Building
Title, side A
Original Site of Toledo's Oldest Black Institution
Title, side B
Warren African Methodist Episcopal Church
Text, side A
In 1847, eight persons formed a mission parish of the African Methodist Episcopal Church (Sandusky Circuit). Reverend Henry J. Young, the minister, had come to Toledo through the Underground Railroad, as had some of his congregation. Richard Mott and Congressman James Mitchell Ashley helped the mission to rent a frame building on the southwest corner of Adams and Summit streets. The mission later became the Toledo Circuit of the A.M.E. Church.
Text, side B
On August 1, 1864, a cornerstone was laid for a new church at 15 N. Erie Street, along the Erie Canal. Frederick Douglass and Sojourner Truth, famous Black Abolitionists, spoke at the ceremony. In 1865, Reverend Charles Warren became the pastor for the congregation. In 1871, Bishop D. A. Payne dedicated and named the new church "Warren Chapel" in honor of Reverend Warren. The congregation relocated at 749 Norwood Avenue in 1950.
Address
749 Norwood Avenue
Toledo, OH 43602
Location
749 Norwood Ave.
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.655100, Longitude: -83.561110.
Google map: