Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lucas County / 12-48 The Toledo Zoo [10]

  • 12-48 The bridge crosses the Anthony Wayne Trail that is mentioned on the Marker. It links the parking lot with the zoo. 12-48 The bridge crosses the Anthony Wayne Trail that is mentioned on the Marker. It links the parking lot with the zoo.
  • 12-48 The Marker is on the right. Straight ahead is the entrance to the zoo and bridge. 12-48 The Marker is on the right. Straight ahead is the entrance to the zoo and bridge.
  • 12-48 The Marker facing the parking lot. 12-48 The Marker facing the parking lot.
  • 12-48 The backside of the Marker 12-48 The backside of the Marker
  • 12-48 Back of Marker 12-48 Back of Marker
  • 12-48 Front of Marker 12-48 Front of Marker
  • 12-48 Museum of Science at the Toledo Zoo 12-48 Museum of Science at the Toledo Zoo
  • 12-48 Children at the Toledo Zoo 12-48 Children at the Toledo Zoo
  • 12-48 Amphitheater at the Toledo Zoo 12-48 Amphitheater at the Toledo Zoo
  • 12-48 Toledo Zoo Orangutan 12-48 Toledo Zoo Orangutan
Title, side A
The Toledo Zoo
Title, side B
Toledo's Canals
Text, side A
Now ranked among the country's finest, the zoo began in 1900 with one large woodchuck in a box at Walbridge Park. After the organization of the Toledo Zoological Society, 1905-10, the zoo began its steady growth, particularly after 1923 under the leadership of Percy C. Jones. An ambitious federal construction program during the Great Depression of the 1930s provided several major structures.
Text, side B
The Anthony Wayne Trail, constructed in the 1930s, was built over much of the shared route of two canal systems: The Wabash and Erie, which joined Toledo with Indiana and operated from 1843 until 1874; and the Miami and Erie, which joined Toledo with Cincinnati and operated from 1845 until 1913. These developments in the Maumee Valley were responsible for the creation of the Great Lakes port city of Toledo.
Location
The Anthony Wayne Trail entrance to the zoo