Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lorain County / 9-47 The Burrell-King House [9]

  • 9-47 The Setting 9-47 The Setting
  • 9-47 Marker #9-47 9-47 Marker #9-47
  • 9-47 Side View 9-47 Side View
  • 9-47 Front View 9-47 Front View
  • 9-47 Back View 9-47 Back View
  • 9-47 House 9-47 House
  • 9-47 Marker 9-47 Marker
  • 9-47 The Burrell - King House 9-47 The Burrell - King House
  • 9-47 The Burrell - King House  marker and the two young Living History enactors who unveiled the marker. 9-47 The Burrell - King House marker and the two young Living History enactors who unveiled the marker.
Title, side A
The Burrell-King House
Title, side B
NULL
Text, side A
Jabez Lyman Burrell (1806-1900), originally from Massachusetts, built this house in 1852. Burrell made his living as a cattleman and farmer, but devoted much of his time serving the cause of abolitionism, helping slaves, who had escaped the South, get to Sheffield and from there to Lorain and across Lake Erie to Canada. He was also devoted to equal education for all, providing funding to a freedmen's school in Selma, Alabama, and serving as a trustee of the Oberlin Collegiate Institute, well known for educating African Americans and women. From 1884 to 1934, this was the home of Henry Churchill King (1858-1934), who was the president of Oberlin College from 1902-1927. The Kings added the porches and rear wing and made their home a social center for the college and community. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a City of Oberlin Historic Landmark.
Address
315 E. College Street
Oberlin, OH 44074
Location
315 E. College Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.291649, Longitude: -82.206450.
Google map: