Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lorain County / 16-47 Monteith Hall [8]

  • 16-47 The Hall and Marker 16-47 The Hall and Marker
  • 16-47 The Setting 16-47 The Setting
  • 16-47 Marker #16-47 16-47 Marker #16-47
  • 16-47 The Back Door 16-47 The Back Door
  • 16-47 A Closer Look 16-47 A Closer Look
  • 16-47 Dining Area 16-47 Dining Area
  • 16-47 Hall 16-47 Hall
  • 16-47 Marker 16-47 Marker
Title, side A
Monteith Hall
Text, side A
Monteith Hall was built in 1835 as the residence of Reverend John Monteith (1788-1868) and family. Before coming to Elyria as the first superintendent of the new high school, Rev. Monteith was an educator and minister in Detroit, Michigan. He was instrumental in founding the University of Michigan, originally located in Detroit, and became its first president. William Gates, Rev. Monteith's grandson, enlarged Monteith Hall in 1897. Monteith Hall was a station on the Underground Railroad on the route that extended from Oberlin. A tunnel, which ran from the basement of the home to the Black River, was used to help slaves escape to the shore of Lake Erie. Rev. Monteith managed the network on the southern shore of Lake Erie, and aided fugitive slaves in boarding ships to cross the lake to Canada.
Address
218 East Avenue
Elyria, OH 44035
Location
218 East Avenue
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.365704, Longitude: -82.103770.
Google map: