Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lake County / 19-43 Rose Capital of The Nation [11]

  • 19-43 The Setting 19-43 The Setting
  • 19-43 Marker #19-43 19-43 Marker #19-43
  • 19-43 Another View 19-43 Another View
  • 19-43 An August Visit 19-43 An August Visit
  • 19-43 A Garden Spot 19-43 A Garden Spot
  • 19-43 A  Closer Look 19-43 A Closer Look
  • 19-43 Rose Capital 1 19-43 Rose Capital 1
  • 19-43 Rose Capital 2 19-43 Rose Capital 2
  • 19-43 Back of Marker 19-43 Back of Marker
  • 19-43 Front of Marker 19-43 Front of Marker
  • 19-43 General Jacquiminot Rose 19-43 General Jacquiminot Rose
Title, side A
Rose Capital of The Nation
Text, side A
From the 1920s through the 1970s, Mentor was recognized as the Rose Capital of the Nation. Lake effect climate, a variety of soils, and abundant water made Mentor ideal for growing roses. Over a dozen growers produced about five million plants a year from their fields in Mentor. The Civic Center Complex was once a massive field of roses, and streets such as Tea Rose, Wyant, and Rosebud were named in honor of the blossoms that grew so abundantly here. Notable growers include Gerard K. Klyn, the largest rose grower in the Midwest; Joseph Kallay, who in 1932 received U.S. patent No. 10 for "Blaze;" Melvin E. Wyant, accredited rose grower, judge, and lecturer; Joseph J. Kern, nationally recognized expert on old fashioned roses; and Paul R. Bosley, who specialized in hybrid tea roses. By the 1970s, increased land values and development led to depletion of much of Mentor's nursery lands.
Address
8537 Mentor Avenue
Mentor, OH 44060
Location
Commemorative Rose Garden, 8537 Mentor Ave.
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.668433, Longitude: -81.334840.
Google map: