Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lake County / 13-43 Unionville Tavern [8]

Title, side A
Unionville Tavern
Title, side B
Unionville Tavern
Text, side A
First known as the Webster House, later as the New England House, and finally as the Old Tavern, this inn has served travelers on the old Cleveland-Buffalo Road (now State Route 84) since before Ohio became a state. As traffic on the old Indian trail increased and it became a post and stage road, the two original log cabins, built in 1798 and later, were converted to this two-and-a-half story inn between 1815 and 1820. While the tavern was the scene of Civil War-era parties and dances in the second-floor ballroom, local tradition suggests it offered much more clandestine hospitality to escaping slaves as a station on the Underground Railroad. The Unionville Tavern was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1973.
Address
7935 South Ridge
Unionville, OH 44057
Location
7935 South Ridge
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.378040, Longitude: -81.003900.
Google map: