Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Lake County / 10-43 Mentor Avenue Historic District [8]

  • 10-43 The Setting 10-43 The Setting
  • 10-43 The Marker 10-43 The Marker
  • 10-43 A Home on Mentor Ave 10-43 A Home on Mentor Ave
  • 10-43 Lake County Courthouse 10-43 Lake County Courthouse
  • 10-43 Mentor 1 10-43 Mentor 1
  • 10-43 Mentor 2 10-43 Mentor 2
  • 10-43 David Phares 10-43 David Phares
  • 10-43 Marker 10-43 Marker
Title, side A
Mentor Avenue Historic District
Text, side A
Among the fifty-four buildings that comprise the Mentor Avenue District are examples of Federal, Greek Revival, Early Romanesque Revival, Italianate, Second Empire, Queen Anne, and twentieth century eclectic styles. Renowned master builder Jonathan Goldsmith (1783-1847), whose Federal and Greek Revival designs define the so-called "Western Reserve" style, built at least two of these houses; the Denton-Powers House (ca. 1820) is representative. The Mentor Avenue District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The Painesville City Hall, the Sessions House (157 Mentor Avenue) and the Smead House (187 Mentor Avenue) are also listed individually on the National Register.
Address
143 Mentor Avenue
Painesville, OH 44077
Location
Corner of Mentor Ave and Liberty Street, next to the Painesville City Hall building
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.724200, Longitude: -81.245400.
Google map: