Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Knox County / 1-42 Christ Church at the Quarry [11]

Title, side A
Christ Church at the Quarry
Text, side A
The stone masons brought from England by Bishop Chase to construct early buildings at Kenyon College settled in this area. In the 1850's with the help of Episcopal Bishop Gregory T. Bedell, they and other families in the community built "Quarry Chapel" on land given by John Bateman. William Fish, owner of a nearby quarry, donated the sandstone. The church stood unused and deteriorating since 1937. Restoration began in 1972.
Address
10930 Quarry Chapel Rd
Gambier, OH 43022
Location
SW corner of Quarry Chapel Rd. and Monroe Mills Rd
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.3878070, Longitude: -82.3706410.
Google map: