Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Jefferson County / 1-41 Federal Land Office [7]

  • 1-41 Federal Land Office Marker 1-41 Federal Land Office Marker
  • 1-41 Federal Land Office 1-41 Federal Land Office
  • 1-41 Catherine Fay Ewing 1-41 Catherine Fay Ewing
  • 1-41 Quaker Meeting House 1-41 Quaker Meeting House
  • 1-41 Underground Railroad in Morgan County 1-41 Underground Railroad in Morgan County
  • 1-41 Federal Land Office 1 1-41 Federal Land Office 1
  • 1-41 by the street 1-41 by the street
Title, side A
Federal Land Office
Text, side A
Federal Land Office. This log building was constructed in 1801 by David Hoge on the west side of Third Street. It served as his home and was the first Federal land office in that part of the Northwest Territory known as the Seven Ranges. In 1809 it was moved and 12 years later encased in a brick structure where it was discovered in 1940. It has been preserved by the citizens of Jefferson County.
Address
120 S 3rd St
Steubenville, OH 43952
Location
In front of the gates of Steubenville Vistor Center
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.359133, Longitude: -80.613804.
Google map: