Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Huron County / 4-39 Early Catholic Missionary Settlement [3]

  • 4-39 Marker 4-39 Marker
  • 4-39 Early Catholic Missionary Settlement Marker 4-39 Early Catholic Missionary Settlement Marker
  • 4-39 Early Catholic Missionary Settlement Marker and Surrounding Area 4-39 Early Catholic Missionary Settlement Marker and Surrounding Area
Title, side A
Early Catholic Missionary Settlement
Text, side A
The Society of the Precious Blood, established in Italy in 1815, began its American ministry here in Peru in January 1844, led by Swiss missionary Father Francis de Sales Brunner. Continuing the work begun by the Redemptorists at St. Alphonse in 1833, the Missionaries of the Precious Blood, or "Sanguinists," brought spiritual support and education to German immigrants in northern Ohio. In July 1844 the Sisters of the Precious Blood, established in Switzerland in 1834, began their ministry of prayer and education here. The priests, brothers, and sisters attended to the needs of parishes across northern Ohio, and between 1844 and 1856 established nine major foundations throughout Seneca, Mercer, Putnam and Auglaize Counties in Ohio.
Address
1360 Settlement Road
Norwalk, OH 44847
Location
St. Alphonsus Church
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.198058, Longitude: -82.661130.
Google map: