Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Huron County / 3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field [6]

  • 3-39 Closer look at marker 3-39 Closer look at marker
  • 3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field - Marker 3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field - Marker
  • 3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field 3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field
  • 3-39 Marker 3-39 Marker
  • 3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field Marker 3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field Marker
  • 3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field Marker and Park 3-39 Wakeman Red Cap Field Marker and Park
Title, side A
Wakeman Red Cap Field
Text, side A
The Wakeman Red Caps, perhaps one of the area's best semi-pro baseball teams during the 1930s and 40s, first played night baseball under lights installed at Wakeman Field on July 24, 1935. The Field, no longer extant, was bounded by Hyde, Clark, Pleasant, and Townsend (Ohio Route 303) streets. The game was played only two months after Franklin D. Roosevelt switched on lights at Crosley Field for the Cincinnati Reds. The Red Caps were part of the Wakeman Baseball Club, an organization which was founded in 1889 and was sponsored by Charles S. Clark, Sr., and others. For aspiring local baseball players, playing night baseball for the Red Caps was a great honor. Wakeman Field was annually graced with Abe Saperstein's Ethipian Clowns, an African-American traveling baseball team, and also saw appearances by Tom Manning, Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, Al Schacht, Jesse Owens, and other sports greats.
Address
Intersection of Cooper St. and U.S. 20
Wakeman, OH 44889
Location
Wakeman Community Park
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.254741, Longitude: -82.400922.
Google map: