Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Highland County / 2-36 Edward Lee McClain High School [8]

  • 2-36 The Setting 2-36 The Setting
  • 2-36 marker 2-36 marker
  • 2-36 McClain HS 2-36 McClain HS
  • 2-36 McClain HS art1 2-36 McClain HS art1
  • 2-36 McClain HS art2 2-36 McClain HS art2
  • 2-36 Edward McClain High School Marker 2-36 Edward McClain High School Marker
  • 2-36 Edward McClain High School Marker 2-36 Edward McClain High School Marker
  • 2-36 Edward McClain High School Marker 2-36 Edward McClain High School Marker
Title, side A
Edward Lee McClain High School
Text, side A
A focal point of community pride for generations, McClain High School was the gift of textile manufacturer Edward Lee McClain to his hometown, "as promising the greatest good to the greatest number for the longest time." Designed by nationally prominent school architect William B. Ittner, the school was dedicated in September 1915. Lauded as one of the most complete and state-of-the-art school plants of its time, McClain High School embodied the ideals of the progressive education movement in the early 20th century. A fully equipped gymnasium, motion-picture equipment, and a pipe organ were rare luxuries for any school during this era. Additional gifts by McClain also furnished a vocational training center and an athletic field. Numerous sculptures, paintings, and other works of art displayed throughout the school continue to enhance the atmosphere of Greenfield's acclaimed halls of learning.
Address
200 N 5th St
Greenfield, OH 45123
Location
Intersection of Jefferson and 6th St.
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.351943, Longitude: -83.387313.
Google map: